Monday, October 03, 2005

No Soul



Two ideas are psychologically deep-rooted in man: self-protection and self-preservation. For self-protection man has created God, on whom he depends for his own protection, safety and security, just as a child depends upon a parent. For self-preservation man has conceived of the idea of an immortal Soul or Atman, which will live eternally. In his ignorance, weakness, fear and desire, man needs these two things to console himself. Hence he clings to them deeply and fanatically.

According to the teaching of the Buddha, the idea of self is imaginary, false belief which has no corresponding reality, and it produces harmful thoughts of ‘me’ and ‘mine’, selfish desire, craving, attachment, hatred, ill-will, conceit, pride, egoism, and other defilements, impurities and problems. It is the source of all the troubles in the world from personal conflicts to wars between nations. In short, to this false view can be traced all the evil in the world.

- Buddha on Nirvana (picture courtesy http://sudo.ch/~dkocher/gallery/albums.php)

5 comments:

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

The FOOL says in his heart, "there is no God." They are currupt, they have done abominable works. There is none who does good.

Psalm 14:1

FOOL!

Just A Human said...

Dear Gabrieelle Eden - if you say so! What I have tried to project with the help of Buddha's teachings - is not to hurt your belief in GOD; please pardon me if I have done so, these are excerpts from various literature to show how different people think.

But the main thing is the "FACT" whatever it is, REMAINS and nobody can change it - we both know that.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

dear just human....

my soul perceives that you are being called, that is, God has sought you out before he created the world to know and love him...you just haven't found him. If I thought differently, I would not bother to write you, or quote poewrful scripture at all.

AS for your comment re: life partners. N o matter how it may appear, I am fiercely loyal and committed to being with a life partner. When relationships fail, it is because God has not joined them together. Our scripture says, "what God has joined together, let not man put asunder." Man can put asunder that which God has not joined, and that is what we see. During the time of life written about in my blog (which I do thaank you for reading, ) I was not able to hear God, nor did I know him or understand him. I was grossly far from him and seeking love in a person.

Since that time, things have changed, yes, and changed much. Christians believe in forgiveness that leads you to a higher place. It's metamorphosis.

Blessings on your journey. I am quite sure it will bring you "home."

Just A Human said...

Thanx for you wishes. But I have found GOD within myself, GOD is nothing but my belief in myself, hence I worship myself, my mind is my temple and my deeds are going to pay me in course of time and relative to the complex algorithms of the universe I am attached to - is'nt it very simple, can anybody escape this fact?

Just A Human said...

elle,

"Perhaps we all live in a world that we create ourselves."

Thanx for the book reference - I will try to find out this book and will send you my comments.

Live Traffic Feed